Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- 3 dumpling squashes, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- dulse granules or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (13/4-oz.) hiziki sea vegetable
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 5 shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 2 teaspoons unrefined toasted sesame oil
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Brush the inside of the squash halves with 1 tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle with dulse granules. Bake the squash halves in a shallow baking dish, cavity side up, for 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
2. While the squash is baking, prepare the hiziki stuffing. Place the hiziki in a large bowl and fill the bowl with enough cold water to cover the sea vegetable. Soak for 10 minutes, drain, and set aside.
3. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onions, red pepper, and shiitakes for 5 minutes. Stir in the drained hiziki and continue sautéing for another 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and drizzle with sesame oil. Fill each squash with the hiziki stuffing and serve immediately.
Note: If you cannot find dumpling squash, acorn and buttercup squashes are equally delicious.